Gemstones are more than just pretty!
Have you ever felt more confident, or relaxed, or open-minded when you’ve worn a certain piece of jewelry? I know I have. A citrine ring never fails to make my day seem just a little brighter. If you’ve felt curious about the metaphysical properties of gemstones, here’s a brief summary of the most common stones found in jewelry! You can use this to make decisions on new pieces – or even bring out an heirloom you’ve forgotten about – and bring some added spirituality to your wardrobe.
- The king of gemstones! These jewels are used for their fortitude and stability. Traditionally, this is why diamonds began to be used in rings when engagement jewelry became popular. They also symbolize purity, an attribute that was highly prioritized (particularly for women), although its energy is objectively masculine. It’s understandable why the diamond is seen in this way: with its clarity, hardness, and strength as a part of the stone family. And because it’s tied to the element of fire, diamonds increase passion and brevity. It makes sense why these gems are used in bridal jewelry!
- This brilliant red gem is ruled by the element of fire. Ruby is a proponent of vitality, passion, and intent. Because ruby is ruled by the planet Mars, it brings forth the courage to do what brings your heart happiness. This stone can motivate you to become your best self! It can reignite the smothered flames and urge you to make important moves in your life. If you suffer from nightmares or insomnia, ruby is also believed to help improve your sleep – as they help ward away evil.
- These blue stones are ruled by water! As a result, sapphires are believed to help the wearer with communication and intuition. You may find yourself more focused, or organized, within the confines of your mind while wearing sapphire. These stones create good environments for making sound decisions and amplifying natural talent. If you’ve ever seen a sapphire set into an engagement ring and wondered why; it’s because sapphires have traditionally been known to symbolize loyalty.
- The brilliant, green jewel of eternity and romance. Emerald is ruled by Venus, with its luxe and lavish appearance, bringing a sense of wealth to your life. The deep green shades held in these stones remind us of spring – like nature returning after a long, cold winter – which incites rebirth and vitality. These gems are timeless; they bring with them eternal compassion and understanding for others, keeping your heart open and healthy.
- Are you in need of some rest and relaxation? Try bringing amethyst into your life. This air element-ruled gem balances intuition with logic, allowing your mind to see through the anxiety plaguing you. Amethyst may also provide protection, building a guard around your psyche and preserving positive energy while helping you detach from negative patterns within your life. With its heavy ties to the third eye chakra, amethyst allows the wearer to reach peace within the mind – letting us take a step back from our lives and take in a wider perspective.
- The only gemstone that isn’t actually a gemstone – these organic beauties are symbols of innocence and integrity. Pearls have long been tied to faithfulness – within ourselves as well as within a greater power. As it comes from the sea, pearls are ruled by the element of water; it carries a natural force of growth and change, usually in intellect. Pearls are also well-known for their feminine energy, with its energy hailing from Venus and the moon.
As someone that’s been invested in metaphysicality for a large portion of my life, I love getting the opportunity to explain spiritual properties to those who are curious. The properties I’ve outlined in this post are just beliefs – and it’s absolutely possible that you’ve had different experiences with these gemstones! A jewel can be special to you for a myriad of reasons. But, if you were looking for a direction; if you needed guidance on which stone you should put into that pendant or ring – hopefully this helped you in some way!
If you enjoyed reading about these gemstones, and you would like to hear more about them or about other gemstones, SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAILING LIST! We will notify you when a new blog post is up – or when we’re having a sale at our store – and you can stay up to date on all things McGee & Co.!